Our mission at Gretel is to build an open ecosystem around safe, anonymized data. To do this, we believe that technical breakthroughs are needed in generative models, differential privacy, and federated learning through generalized, ethically-aware approaches that will work with any kind of data- be it text, structured data, audio, or video.
As an Applied Scientist Manager, you will be leading a team of talented AI specialists to make privacy engineering automated for people everywhere. You'll be building cutting edge technology to unlock real-life use cases of synthetic data that our customers are working on today-- including models that can better detect heart disease across genders and ethnicities, financial models that can better respond to unseen data and market changes, and safe datasets that enable medical researchers to share data on rare diseases such as Lymphoma without compromising patient identity.
We expect you to
- Be both a technical, hands-on researcher and effective people manager.
- Help set a vision for the Applied Research team and work with the team to achieve goals.
- Come up with new ideas or improve upon existing ideas in machine learning, demonstrated by accomplishments such as lead author publications, public learning via blog posts and thought leadership pieces, or leading research projects.
- Lead multiple research endeavors from end-to-end, while coordinating with Product Managers, engineering, and leadership.
- Create a diverse and inclusive culture where people feel comfortable being themselves at work.
- Help develop and refine the research team’s mission and priorities.
- Grow, mentor, and coach people.
- Recruit top scientists.
- At least 5 years of experience as an individual contributor and 2 years of experience leading others in industry, faculty, or the government sector
- M.S. or PhD in Computer Science, related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience in Neural Networks/Deep learning, Generative models (GANs, transformers, language models, etc.), Privacy enhancing technologies (Differential Privacy, Federated learning, etc.), Natural language processing, Computer vision, or Signal processing
- Leading a team on the research to product pipeline.
- Strong communication skills -– you are able to clearly express ideas both verbally and in written form. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
Nice to have
- Past experience in creating high-performance implementations of deep learning algorithms
- Deep experience with ML frameworks such as TensorFlow, HuggingFace, PyTorch, OpenCV, Fairlearn, or MLflow
- Deep experience with ML techniques such as Transformers, LSTM, or CNN
- Experience managing large open-source software efforts
We think the best ideas come from the blending of diverse perspectives. Our team is composed of the best minds in their fields - and we believe that adding perspectives will make our solutions much stronger. We hire people who are superb at what they do, drawn to the cool edges where fields touch, and like to laugh. We are deeply collaborative, apolitical, and mission-oriented.